First World War Biographies N-W

Biographies of the servicemen named on the St Michael’s War Memorial for the First World War.


Stoker (First Class) George Neate
K/19355, HM Submarine G8
9 January 1894, St Giles Cripplegate, City of London – 3rd January 1918, aged 24
Panel 29, Chatham Naval Memorial, Kent

He was the son of the cabman Thomas Neate (1857, Cherhill, Wiltshire) and his wife Emma B (1858, Sheerness, Kent), who had married in 1883. They had one son in London – Joseph D (1885, Poplar). They then had two daughters in Berkshire – Louisa E (1887, Buckhurst Park or Sunninghill, Berkshire), Edith A (1888, Sunninghill, Berkshire) and Clara (1890, Buckhurst Park or Sunninghill, Berkshire).

In 1891 the couple and their children were living in the stabling on City Green Yard, St Giles Cripplegate, with Thomas working in domestic service as a coachman. George and his younger brother Alfred (1896, City of London, probably St Giles Cripplegate) both seem to have been born whilst there. They cannot yet be found in the 1901 census.

All four surviving children were living with their parents at 69 George Street, St Pancras in the 1911 census – Joseph and Edith had died in the interim. Thomas was now a cabman, George was working as an errand boy, Alfred as an improver of “Geyser Lighting Baths”, Clara as a relief stamper and Louise as a tailoress. By the time he joined up for 12 years on 31st May 1913 as a Stoker Second Class, George was a porter in civilian life. He was 5 foot 6.25 inches, with brown hair, fair complexion and grey eyes. He was posted straight to HMS Pembroke II, a Royal Naval Air Station in Eastchurch, north Kent. On 31st October he was transferred to the battleship HMS Africa, on which he was promoted to Stoker First Class on 25th June 1914. On 15th October 1915 he was posted to HMS Dolphin, a depot ship for submarines based near Portsmouth. He continued serving on this and other submarine depot ships until his death.

The World War One Naval Casualties transcription states he was killed or died at sea as a result of enemy action but that his body was not recovered. His service record states he was “lost on duty”. His submarine was lost a few days later, on 14th January. The transcription also only records his mother, suggesting his father may have died already. At the time of George’s death his mother or both parents were living at 144 Arlington Road, Camden Town.

Herbert Nicholls

He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving.


Rifleman Edward Penny
5011, 1/7th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Own)
???? – 28 August 1916, Western Front
Pier and Face 2 A 2 C and 2 D., Thiepval Memorial

He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. His RIP appeared in the March 1917 parish magazine.

Charles Samuel Perkins
10009, Private, 10th Battalion, Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry
1893, St Pancras – 8th June 1917, died of wounds,
Grave IV.F.39, Duisans British Cemetery, Etrun

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission recorded his mother as Mrs A Perkins, living at 7 Stuckle Place, Camden Town. This probably means his parents were Charles Samuel Perkins (1873, St Pancras) and Alice Maud Hemingway (1874, St Pancras), a printer’s daughter, who had married in the St Pancras district in mid 1893. Only one of the nine children born alive to them by 1911 had died before 1911.

In 1901 Charles Samuel was living with his parents and his four younger siblings at 200 Arlington Road, St Pancras, with his father working as a tarpaulin maker. In 1911 he was living with his parents and his seven younger siblings at 9 Dewsbury Terrace, St Pancras. In 1911 both Charles senior and Charles junior were working at a piano manufacturers, as a porter and a mill hand respectively. Charles junior appears on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. Charles Samuel enlisted in London, giving his residence as Highgate. He married Maud Alice before 1918. His daughter Maud Elizabeth (30th June 1918) was baptised at St Michael’s on 9th September 1918, with her parents’ address given as 7 Stuckley Place and her father’s profession as soldier.

The CWGC does not record his father’s name, probably meaning his father predeceased him.

Sidney Peterson

He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving, though a W Patterson does (as RIP).

Herbert (‘Bert’ or ‘Bertie’) Plumb
R/20530, Rifleman, 1st Battalion, King’s Royal Rifle Corps
1897, Hornsey or Islington – 28th September 1917, killed in action, Western Front, aged 20
Grave II.A.1., Beuvry Communal Cemetery Extension

He was the son of Harry Plumb (early 1872, Deene, Northamptonshire – mid 1929, St Pancras), who in 1881 was still living with his widowed grandfather in Deene and in 1891 was a barman at the Kings Arms, Peckham Rye. In late 1893 he married Bertie’s mother Florence Agnes, Agnes Florence or Agnes Maude Buckenham (early 1873, Kilburn) in Islington district – the best fit for her in the 1881 census is the daughter of the clerk of a municipal vestry, living at 37 Oulton Street, Battersea. Soon after their marriage, Harry and Agnes had two children – Harry John (mid 1895, Holloway or Islington) and Bertie. In 1901 Harry senior was the live-in manager of the Tenterden Arms at 224 Devon Road, Bromley-by-Bow, living with his wife, two sons and three boarders (a barman, a domestic cook and a general domestic servant). In 1907 they had another child, Doris (1907, Camden Town).

Of the four children born alive to Harry and Agnes by 1911, one had died by 1911 – this was probably Ellen (1900, Bermondsey), who was written onto the 1911 census but struck through. From their children’s birthplaces, its seems Harry and Agnes moved to manage the Oxford Arms at 265 High Street, Camden Town between 1901 and 1907. In 1911 both of Bertie’s parents gave their occupation as “Licensed Victualler”, living at the Oxford Arms with their three children, one boarder and four servants (a barmaid, a barman, a potman and a cook).

He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. Bertie enlisted in the St Pancras district, though he gave his residence more specifically as Camden Town, probably still the Oxford Arms with his parents. Both his parents were still alive and still at the Oxford Arms at the time of his death, which was recorded as their address by the CWGC. Harry died in 1929, but it is unclear when Agnes died or if she remarried.

George Pyke
2566, Private, 19th (County of London) Battalion (St Pancras), London Regiment
probably 1888, St Pancras – 5th September 1916, died of wounds, United Kingdom, possibly sustained during the Battle of the Somme
Special Memorial, Row 1, St Pancras Cemetery

He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. The Soldiers Died in the Great War database states that he enlisted in Camden Town, though resident in Kentish Town at the time.

As he died in the UK, he may be the death registered in July, August or September 1916 in Chorlton district of Lancashire, aged 28. If so, that may make him the George Pyke (1888, St Pancras) who is living with his parents Alfred (1862, Hoxton – a cabinet maker) and Amelia (1860, Lambeth or Camden Town) in the 1891 and 1901 censuses at 80 Bride Street, Islington and 214 Arlington Road, St Pancras respectively. In 1891 four other children and in 1901 six other children are living with George and his parents.

In 1910 this George married Ellen Elizabeth Cook (1891, Kentish Town), a builder’s daughter and in 1911 they were living in a single room at 84 Malden Road, Kentish Town (which would link this man to the man in the Soldiers Died in the Great War database). They had no children and George was working as a porter for a furnishing company and Ellen drilling brass for the “lamp trade”.

Frederick William Pywell
G/15761, Serjeant, 21st Battalion, Middlesex Regiment
1885, Rugby, Warwickshire – 10th April 1917, Western Front
Pier and Face 12D and 13B, Thiepval Memorial

Frederick was the son of Edmund Pywell (1858, Saddington, Leicestershire; working in domestic service in general in 1891 and as a groom in 1901) and Sarah Gamble (1851, Harborough Magna, Warwickshire), who had married in the Coventry district in 1881, but had moved to Rugby by the birth of their first child in 1884.

In 1891 he was living with them, two siblings and two boarders (an actor and an actress) at 62 James Street, Rugby – he was also attending school, as his occupation is given as ‘Scholar’. In 1901 the family had moved to 33 James Street, where Francis was living with his parents, three siblings and two boarders – like his elder brother Francis (1884, Rugby) he was already in domestic service as a page. His parents were still living in Rugby, at 39 James Street, at the time of Francis’ death

Francis was in London by 1906, when he joined the St Pancras branch of the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants, a trades union – he gave his occupation at that time as ‘Carriage Attendant’. In 1911 Francis was at a lodging house at 37 Bartholomew Road, Kentish Town – he was then working as a dining car attendant for the London and North Western Railway and his landlady’s husband was a goods foreman for the Midland Railway.

In 1913 Francis married Ellen Lavinia Flawith (1891, St Pancras) in the St Pancras district. In 1911 she had been working as a shorthand writer and typist and living at 2 Bartholomew Villas, Kentish Town with her parents and siblings, including Ronald Arthur Flawith (1899, St Pancras; the Ronald Flawith on the list of names on the memorial in the 1920 parish magazine). Frederick does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. She was living with her parents at 8 Bartholomew Road, Kentish Town at the time of his death. She never remarried and died in Lewisham district in 1957.


Thomas (Gurling) Rayson
295, Private, 3rd, 1/3rd, 85/3rd London Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps
1865, St Luke’s and/or Marylebone – 21st March 1917, Marylebone, aged 52
Kerb Wall on Cross B.17.100, East Finchley Cemetery and St Marylebone Crematorium

(Thomas) Victor Rayson
K/7346, Leading Stoker, HMS Racoon
29th September 1891, Carlisle Street, Marylebone – 9th January 1918, Irish Sea, lost at sea
Panel 29, Chatham Naval Memorial

Thomas Gurling Rayson first married in Holborn in early 1887 to Henrietta Alice Burrell (1867, Lambeth – 1889, Bethnal Green), but she died two years later, aged only 22. He married his second wife Elizabeth Maria Still (1867, Marylebone) at St Eno’s Church, Edgware Road on 9th October 1890, witnessed by Sergeant Charles Grove of the Metropolitan Police (presumably one of Rayson’s colleagues) and William James Still (born 1839, Middlesex; plasterer; father of the bride). Thomas and Elizabeth were living with Elizabeth’s parents, a lodger and 6 other people at 96 Carlisle Street, Marylebone in the census the following year, with no children and with Thomas working as a police constable. Thomas Victor was their son and in 1901 he was living at 1, Little Exeter Street, Marylebone with his mother, his two younger sisters Ethel Amelia (20th December 1892, Carlisle Street, Marylebone), Harold Reuben (19th July 1904, Marylebone) and a nurse. Thomas Gurling had joined the Royal Army Medical Service on 2nd July 1901 for the Boer War and so was not at home on census night. He joined up on Short Service Attestation for a year (or longer if the war lasted longer) and gave his trades as “1 French Polisher 2 Hospital Attendant”. He stated he had previously served with the Medical Staff Corps (noting “time ex” next to it), the 18th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers (noting “Engagement cancelled!” next to it) and the Royal Reserve Royal Army Medical Corps (also “time ex”). He was unsure if he had been discharged from the 18th MRV on joining the Royal Reserves, but believed he had been. He was in South Africa from 16th August 1901 to 10th September 1902 (entitling him to the South Africa Medal), before being demobbed in Britain on 12th September 1903. His papers record him as having a scar on the right of his neck and state his children as Thomas Victor, Violet Maud (7th April 1898, Little Exeter Street, London) and Ethel Amelia.

On 18th January 1904 Thomas Gurling attested into the Reserve Division of the Militia, giving his address as 1 Little Exeter Street, Lisson Grove, NW. He recorded the piano-makers Messrs Beadle and Langbein of Royal Park Buildings, Park Street, Camden Town as his “present or former master”. He stated he had three children at that time. He stated he had previously served in the 4th Battalion East Surrey Regiment, then another unspecified battalion of the East Surrey Regiment, then the RAMC, then the Royal Reserve (RAMC) and finally the RAMC (Special Service). He was discharged from the Reserve Division on 17th January 1908 “on the termination of his first period of limited engagement”. On 7th March 1908 Maud Catherine was born to Thomas Gurling and Elizabeth.

Thomas Victor worked for a time as a Butcher’s Assistant before joining the Royal Navy on 6th July 1910 aged 17 – his records state he had brown hair and eyes and was 5 foot 4 inches. In 1908 he became a householder. By 1911 Thomas Victor’s parents were living together again, now at 19 Wellington Street, Camden Town, with their children Maud and Harold – his father was now working as a ‘French Polisher – Furniture’. Both Thomas and Victor appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving.

On 7th September 1914 Thomas Gurling Rayson joined up for four years’ service and was assigned to the 3rd City of London Field Ambulance, a Territorial Force unit, still giving his profession as French Polisher but now living at 91 (possibly an error for 19) Wellington Street, Camden Town. He stated he had already served in the RAMC as a Lance Corporal and his medical examination stated that his “past service with RAMC has been taken into consideration”. He gave his wife as his next of kin and her address as 19 Wellington Street. He remained on home service until 3rd November 1914, when he was sent to the Western Front. On 9th May 1915 he was made an unpaid Acting Lance Corporal, but he was reduced back to Private on 7th September the same year.

Thomas Gurling Rayson did not leave the Western Front until 16th November 1915, when he was moved to join the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force. On 22nd March 1916 he was attached to an RAMC administrative centre and put back on home service. He was in 3rd London General Hospital in Wandsworth from 27th March to 17th June 1916 as a patient. On 17th April 1916 an operation was carried out on his neck to correct a swollen gland or growth in his mouth at the – he had first noticed it in July 1915. The growth was partly excised and left him with “healed scar from angle of jaw on left to below chin [and] thickening of tissues above wound – still intact”. His service record states that the swollen gland was “Not result [of] nor aggravated by Active Service” but its results were “Permanent – Totally prevents…” without specifying anything further, besides that it left him with “Inability to earn a livelihood”. A medical board on 10th June 1916 found him “Permanently Unfit” and he was discharged from the RAMC (Territorial Force) as “no longer physically fit for War Service” on 16th June 1916. His discharge papers recorded his height as 5 foot 9 ? inches (up from 5 foot 7 ? inches on enlistment!), his eyes as brown, his hair as dark gray and his character as “sober, steady and well conducted”. His address on discharge was given as 17 Wellington Street, Camden Town and his total service as 1 year 1 month on the Western Front, 4 months in the Mediterranean, 1 year in South Africa and 1 year 5 months in Gibraltar and Egypt. In April 1917 the parish magazine carried an RIP for Thomas Gurling Rayson.

Thomas Victor served at the Royal Naval Air Service air station HMS Pembroke II and on board the cruiser HMS Diamond from his enlistment until 28th September 1916, as Stoker 2nd Class then Stoker 1st Class. On 27th August 1916 he married Phyllis Ella Hunt (1894, Paddington) at St Michael’s – she was working as a “Mantle Maker” in 1911, living at 135 Carlton Vale and was the daughter of Alfred Hunt, a carman. Thomas Victor gave his profession on marriage as “Stoker Royal Navy” and his address as 19 Wellington Street. The witnesses were his parents.

Thomas Victor then served on Q15 and the sloop HMS Salvia before returning to HMS Pembroke II on 1st July 1917. On 10th October 1917 he was deployed to HMS Hecla, a depot ship, en route to the destroyer HMS Racoon. He became a Leading Stoker on 25th November 1917, but was lost when HMS Racoon was wrecked off the Irish coast on 9th January 1918.

Naval records show that his wife was living at 17 Wellington Street with his parents at the time of his death, but by the time the CWGC recorded her details she had moved to 135 Carlton Vale, West Kilburn. She had a son in 1918, Victor Alfred G Rayson, whose birth was registered in the St Pancras district in April, May or June that year and who went on to marry Phyllis Whawell in Willesden district in 1941 and to die in the Boston district of Lincolnshire in 1993. Thomas Victor’s widow Phyllis remarried in Willesden in 1925, to Albert Henry Wellington (1897, Marylebone) – she died in Colchester in 1967 aged 72. Thomas Victor’s mother Elizabeth Maria Rayson seems to have died in the Tendring district of Essex in 1938.

George Reynolds

He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving.

Frederick Ricketts

Albert Charles Roberts
M/6356, Engine Room Artificer 4th Class, HM Submarine E30
6th January 1892, St Pancras – 22nd November 1916, off Orfordness
Panel 15, Portsmouth Naval Memorial

He was the son of the gun barrel maker George John Roberts (1852, Soho – 1934, Hampstead), who was himself the son of a gun maker. In 1861 George John was living with his father George (1824, St Giles’s, Middlesex), his mother Caroline (1832, Camden Town), his three younger siblings and two lodgers at 6 Crown Court, St Anne, Strand. At St James’s the Less, Thorndike Street on 14th June 1873, George John married Albert’s mother Mary Ann Trimbey (1852, Marylebone – 1934, Hampstead). She was the daughter of a night cabman and in 1871 had been living on Little Chapel Street, Soho with her parents and siblings. All George and Mary’s recorded children were born in St Pancras district – Eliza Elizabeth (1875), John George (1876), William (1878), George (1880), Arthur Alfred (1882), Charlotte May (1884), Lily Catherine (1886) and Albert. John and Eliza were both christened as adults at St Michael’s on 16 February 1888, with their father’s occupation given as gunsmith and their parents’ address as 145 Arlington Road. By 1911 George and Mary had had eight children born alive, of which three had died by 1911. One of those to have died was Albert’s elder brother George, who died in the Boer War and is commemorated at St Michael’s by a wall plaque.

In 1881 the couple were at 134 Bayham Street with Eliza, John, William and George. By 1891 they had moved to 145 Arlington Road, with Eliza, John, George, Arthur, Charlotte and Lilly, along with two boarders (one of whom was another gun barrel maker). They were still at that address in 1901, now without the boarders and with Eliza, Arthur, Charlotte, Lillie and Albert. Mary Ann was a confirmation candidate at St Michael’s in 1891, aged 39 and still giving her address as 145 Arlington Road. Arthur Alfred also gave that address when he was a confirmation candidate in 1895, aged 13, as did Charlotte May when she was a candidate in 1897, aged 13 and Lily Catherine when she was one in 1899, aged 13. Albert Charles was a candidate himself in 1904, still at 145 Arlington Road – his entry in the register was later annotated “RIP killed in war”.

In 1911 Albert Charles was still living with his parents and siblings Eliza, Arthur and Lily, now at 36 St Augustine’s Road, Camden Town. He was working as an apprentice actioner at a gun makers – his father was a gun and barrel maker and gave his employment status as employee not employer, so George, Albert and Arthur (who had passed his apprenticeship as a gun maker’s actioner since 1901 and was now working as one) may all have been working at the same place. Arthur Alfred married Edith Mary Anderson of 43 King Henry’s Road at St Michael’s on 14th June 1913 – she was the daughter of Charles Anderson, a nurseryman. Their son Arthur John was baptised at St Michael’s on 26th December 1916, with his father’s occupation given as soldier and his parents’ address as 51 Oakwood Road, Golders Green.

Albert Charles’ naval service record survives at the National Archives (ADM 188/1030/6356), with the service number M6356. He was a fitter and turner upon joining up for 12 years on 29th July 1913. He was 5 foot 9 inches, with blue eyes and light brown hair. He spent the first few months of his service at HMS Vernon and HMS Victory II, as an Acting Engine Room Artificer 4th Class. (He may have reverted to being an acting one on 19th November 1915, though his CWGC record accords him the full rather than acting rank.)

On 21st April 1914 he was made a full Engine Room Artificer 4th Class and posted to his first ship, HMS Black Prince, where he was in charge of the torpedoes. He wrote two letters to the parish magazine on 18th July 1914 and 20th May 1915 (both published the month after they were written). These described how his ship made a stop at Jaffa, probably early in July 1914, during which he and a few others gained permission from the admiral to visit the holy land. They passed through the Plain of Sharon, seeing Samson’s tomb. There first stop in Jerusalem was the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, on which he commented “One can scarcely imagine the diffidence one feels at entering such a holy place (we went right into the rock) or the thrill experienced when confronted not by teachings but by visual facts”. They also visited the tomb of Rachel there, as well as going to the Church of the Nativity and the Church of St Jerome in Bethlehem – he commented about the former that “A Turkish soldier is posted at the spot where the manger was, and at each altar [of the various denominations sharing the church]”. They then returned to Jerusalem, riding on donkeys through the Golden Gate, past the Garden of Gethsemane and up the Mount of Olives to the Church of the Ascension.

A week after the stop at Jaffa, he and his ship had sailed on to Alexandria, during which stop he was able to see Cairo and the Pyramids. They then sailed on to Malta, where news of the outbreak of war was phoned down to the torpedo room by the captain at eight bells (midnight). The ship then took part in the pursuit of the battlecruiser SMS Goeben and the light cruiser SMS Breslau on 6th-7th August, failing to stop them reaching Constantinople. She then escorted several ships carrying Indian troops through the Red Sea, occasionally calling at Aden and Suez. She then became the guardship to Port Said, capturing two German ocean liners in the Red Sea. Next she was guardship to Alexandria, during which time she chased a German cruiser out of the Indian Ocean.

The Black Prince was ordered to Gibraltar on 6th November to patrol the African coast – en route she called at Malta, where Roberts hired a carriage to travel 15 miles inland to visit Ben Peach, a former member of St Michael’s, then with 19th Battalion of the London Regiment. He also found that the sentry of Peach’s camp was also “an old S. Michaelite, one of the old junior football club boys and a member of the CLB, Bobbie Barnes by name” – both Barnes and Peach had been wounded but recovered. Peach’s full name was Benjamin Joseph Peach (1895, Stoke Newington – 1977, Portsmouth, Hampshire) – he was the younger brother of Roberts’ future wife and later transferred to the Labour Corps, surviving the war.

In December Roberts’ ship joined the Grand Fleet. Just before Christmas 1914 its rudder was damaged and he was given four days’ leave. He spent the first 24 hours travelling and arrived home at 12:30 Christmas Day. He concluded his second letter by saying “Over the gales and rough weather generally which we have since encountered I will draw a veil, but anyway I will certify that although ‘Britannia rules the waves’ and there can be no doubt she does, they certainly make a most uncomfortable throne.”

On 5th June 1915 he married Jeanie Caroline Anna Peach (1892, Tottenham) at St Michael’s. She was the daughter of Charles William Peach (1867, South Hackney) and Anna Maria Purser (1861, Islington), witnessed by his brother Arthur Alfred and both Jeanie’s parents. Jeanie’s parents had married late in 1889 in Hackney district. In 1901 Jeanie was living with them and four of her younger siblings at 35 Allison Road, Hornsey. Her father was then working as a Pharmaceutical Chemist but deserted the family between 1901 and 1911, since in 1911 Anna Maria gave her marital status as “Married – Deserted”. This correlates with Jeanie’s marriage register entry, which gives her father as Deceased, which has been scored through and amended to doctor. Anna Maria had had seven children born alive by 1911, of which only one had died. An Annie Peach of 323 Clatena Buildings, Great Cole Street was a confirmation candidate at St Michael’s in 1906 aged 33.

In 1911 Jeanie was living with her mother (living on private means) and four younger siblings. She was also working as a library assistant for the Borough Council and living with her mother and four younger siblings at 48 Birnam Road, Finsbury Park. One of those siblings was Benjamin Joseph Peach, then working as a Junior Booking Clerk for the “Tube Railway” – the same Ben Peach who Roberts visited on Malta in 1914. The last sibling was born in 1902 in Hornsey. Jeanie was living at 277 High Street at the time of her marriage.

One of the two anonymous letters under the title ‘Extracts from Letters from the Front’ in the February 1916 parish magazine describes Christmas 1915 with the 1st Cruiser Squadron and so is probably by Roberts. It reads:

Thank you for the beautiful photograph of dear old St Michael’s. It arrived at a most opportune moment, just when I wanted cheering. For some days previous to Christmas the weather had been extremely bad, and the gale was blowing so badly that even though we were in harbour it was quite impossible for the mail trawler to get alongside. At noon on Christmas Eve we had orders for sea, and the First Cruiser Squadron was ordered to proceed to the Skaggerack to search an American steamer which was reported to be taking lard to the enemy. As soon as we got our bows outside the boom-defence we had to batten down, and no one off duty was allowed on the upper deck, which was immediately and continuously swept by huge waves. The wireless room was flooded out and the sending machine destroyed. Two of the upper deck 6-in guns were unshipped and my mess had two feet of water swishing from side to side. Breakfast on the great day (Christmas Day) consisted of a glass of water – all the fires were drowned – and a piece of bread and butter. Christmas dinner was of bread and bully beef. However, we had much for which to be thankful. One of our four ships lost five hands overboard and another lost one. When we got in, on the day after Boxing Day, the weather had abated somewhat, and a mail was waiting. Your most welcome letter was amongst my share. A glance at that photograph brought back everything. I could smell the incense, hear the Yuletide hymns and (strange flight of fancy) see Charlie Bean (RIP) and myself as young lads walking up and taking those processional candles from their sockets.

That Charlie Bean might be related to the Albert Edward Bean who married Mabel Elsie Monk at St Michael’s on 9 June 1917.

On 28th December 1915 he was transferred to HMS Dolphin, a depot ship moored off Gosport in Hampshire supporting 2nd Submarine Flotilla. He was then sent to HMS Titania on 28th February 1916 – she was the depot ship for the 11th Submarine Flotilla, based at Blyth in Northumberland and supporting the Grand Fleet. On 6th September 1916 he transferred to his last ship, HMS E30, a submarine launched in November the previous year. He was “lost on duty” on 22nd November 1916, when the submarine was sunk by a mine off Orfordness, Suffolk, with no survivors. The December 1916 parish magazine carried his RIP.

Jeanie gave birth to their son Albert Charles George in 1917, registering his birth in Islington in April, May or June 1917 – he was baptised at St Michael’s on 22nd July 1917, with Jeanie’s address given as 7 Penn Road Villa, Camden Town. The May 1934 parish magazine carried a report of George John and Mary Ann Roberts’ death within a few hours of each other; the following July issue reported on their Golden wedding and stated that “before they removed from Camden Town [they] were keen supporters of St Michael’s and retained their interest in it to the end”. A double funeral was held for them at St Michael’s on 21st July 1934.

(Albert) William Rowat
572595, Rifleman, 1/17th (County of London) Battalion (Poplar and Stepney), London Regiment
1887, Westminster or St George’s Hanover Square – 21st March 1918, killed in action, Western Front, aged 30
Bay 9 or 10, Arras Memorial

He was the son of the hairdresser William Rowat (1859, Kingston on Thames) and his wife Jessie Maria Elson (1867, Ramsgate, Kent), who had married in 1885 in St Saviour’s district in south London. From their children’s birthplaces, they seem to have moved from Westminster to Chelsea between 1888 and 1890, Chelsea to Walworth between 1890 and 1891 and Walworth to St Pancras between 1897 and 1901. The couple had a total of six children, all of whom were still alive in 1911.

Albert’s birth was registered at St George’s Hanover Square in London, but he was christened at St Paul’s in Ramsgate, Kent on 17th August 1887. In 1901 he was living with his parents, four younger siblings and an employee of his father’s business at 45 Park Street, St Pancras. His mother Jessie’s death was registered in the Dartford district of Kent in April, May or June 1902 and his father remarried to Louisa Moore (1872, Albury, Surrey) in the St Pancras district October, November or December the same year. William and Louisa were still living at 45 Park Street in 1911, though only Albert and two other siblings were now living with them, along with William’s employee, two boarders and a lodger.

In 1911 Albert was working as a cheesemonger. He enlisted in the St Pancras district, though he gave his place of residence at the time as Hampstead. He married Lilian Maud Angel (1889, Kentish Town – early 1928, Hendon) early in 1916 in the St Pancras district, though the marriage registration gives her first names as Lilian E.

In 1891 Lilian had been living with her dressmaker mother Rebecca Angel (1853, Bloomsbury) on Hartland Road, St Pancras – her mother is still ‘Wife’ not ‘Widow’, but her husband is absent. In 1897 Rebecca remarried to Reuben Burningham, a pencil maker from Henley on Thames with one son and one daughter of his own. Lilian lived with her mother, siblings and stepfather in 1901 (34 Marsden Street, St Pancras) and 1911 (at 54 Grafton Terrace, St Pancras). By 1911 Lilian was working as a “Small Piano Action Maker”, a trade followed by her step-sister in 1901. Lilian is recorded by the CWGC as living at 42 Maitland Park Road, Haverstock Hill at the time of Albert’s death.

He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving, though an E Rowat does. There is an RIP for a William Rowatt [sic] in the September 1915 parish magazine, possibly a recent death or possibly an anniversary of death – either this is a relation or the figure described above does not link to the man on the war memorial.


George Sexton

He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. His RIP appears in the June 1918 parish magazine.

Harold Frederick Shand
G/24492, Private, 7th Battalion, Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)
1882, St Pancras – 12th October 1917, killed in action, Western Front, aged 35
Panel 106 to 108, Tyne Cot Memorial

He was the son of Henry T Shand (1847, Middlesex), an upholsterer and the son of George H Sand (1821, St John’s, Middlesex – 1890, St Pancras), also an upholsterer. 116 Park Street, Camden Town was the family home from 1861 to 1911 – Henry was living there with his parents and an elder sister in 1861. Henry married Harold’s mother Jane Farley (1846, Clerkenwell – 1895, St Pancras) in 1874 in the St Pancras district. They had their first child Stanley (1879, Middlesex) before the 1881 census, when all three of them were living in the household of Henry’s father at 116 Park Street – Harold also gave this as his address in 1915 at the time of his marriage.

Harold himself was born in 1882. Henry’s father died in 1890 and Henry took over the house and the family business. He was living there in 1891 with his wife, two sons and a servant. Henry’s mother Jane died in 1895 and so in 1901 only Henry, his two sons and one servant were still at 116 Park Street. This had dwindled to only Harold and his widowed father (still working as an upholsterer) by the time of the 1911 census.

Harold was a dentist (1901) or a “mechanical dentist” (1911). He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. He married Norah Walker (born 1887) at St Michael’s on 28th August 1915 – at the time of the marriage she was living at 20 Devereux Court on the Strand. She was the daughter of Ralph Walker, who had died before the wedding. The witnesses were Stanley Henry Shand and Thomas Ernest Walker. Harold gave his own profession as “Dental Mechanic” and his father’s profession as “Builder”. The Soldiers Died in the Great War database states he was resident in Chiswick when he enlisted there – this probably occurred after his marriage.

At the time of his death, his widow was living at ‘Ripley’, Grand Drive, Herne Bay, Kent, whilst Harold’s father Henry was living at 117 Park Street, Regent’s Park (probably part of the same complex as 116).

Alfred Victor George Slade
2504, Private, 19th (County of London) Battalion (St Pancras), London Regiment
late 1893, Kentish Town (registered Islington) – 25th September 1915, killed in action, Western Front, on the opening day of the Battle of Loos
Panel 130 to 135, Loos Memorial

He was the son of Victor James Slade (1870, St James’s, Middlesex) and Rosa Elizabeth Bossom (1868, Oxford) – they had married early in 1892 in the St Pancras district. He was living with them, his younger brother Harry W (1897, St Pancras) and a visitor at the Grocer’s Shop at 3 Rochford Street, St Pancras in 1901, with his father working as a carpenter’s labourer and his mother as a shirt ironer.

The family had moved to 1 Redhill Street, St Pancras by the 1911 census and Victor and Rosa now had two sons and two daughters. Victor was an unemployed general labourer, but Rosa was working as a general charwoman, Alfred as a general hand at a brewery and Harry as an errand boy at a cabinet makers. He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving, though a J and an S Slade do. Alfred was resident in Camden Town when he enlisted there. He died on the same day as Albert Annison and the day before Robert Ernest Spriggs – all three men belonged to 19th Battalion and are on the memorial.

John Smith

Robert Ernest Spriggs
2047, Private, 1/19th (County of London) Battalion (St Pancras), London Regiment
1893, Marylebone – 26th September 1915, died of wounds, Western Front, aged 22, on the second day of the Battle of Loos
I.B.9, Noeux-les-Mines Communal Cemetery

He was the son of John (1841, Leicestershire – 1920, St Pancras) and Selina H (1852 – late 1924, St Pancras). In 1891 John, Selina and three of their children were living at Tudor Place, St Pancras. In 1901 they were living at 5 Warren Street, St Pancras with Robert and his two younger siblings – his father was working as a porter.

The family cannot yet be traced in the 1911 census, though the Soldiers Died in the Great War database shows that Robert was living in Camden Town when he enlisted there. He appears on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. The CWGC only gives his mother (then living in St Pancras) as his next of kin. He died the day after Alfred Slade and Albert Annison – all three men were in the same battalion and all three are on the memorial.

Alfred Squires

He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving.

George Alfred Strutt
201422, Private, 1st Battalion London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)
1898, St John Street Road, Clerkenwell – 9th August 1918
Grave VI.H.10, Heath Cemetery, Harbonnieres

He was the son of George Mark Strutt (1871, Islington – ) and Adelaide Maria Hayward (1877, Farringdon Road, Clerkenwell – 1941, Surrey), who had married late in 1896 in Lambeth district. In 1901 George was living with his parents and his younger sister Elizabeth Maud (1901, St John Street Road, Clerkenwell) at 23 Park Terrace, Willesden. His father was working as a “Stationary Mail Porter” in 1901, but died in 1906 in Wandsworth district. The couple only had three children, who were all still alive in 1911.

In 1911 George’s mother is working as a “Domestic Cook”. George and Elizabeth were then living with her at 160 Arlington Road, Camden Town, along with their youngest sister Adelaide Alice (late 1902, College Road, Kensal Rise). George does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. The CWGC records his mother’s address at the time of his death as 34 Wellington Street, Camden Town.

Henry (‘Harry’) Sturgess
4306 / 47033, Rifleman, Rifle Brigade, later 9th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles
1892 – 17th August 1917, died of wounds, Western Front, aged 25
Grave XVII. AA. 9., Lijssenhoek Military Cemetery

His parents were Henry Sturges (1872, London) and Harriett Annie Hollingsworth (1874, Kentish Town – 1963, St Pancras district), who had married in 1891 in the St Pancras district. Harriett was also known as Hettie. Henry junior was living with his parents in 1911 at 5 Falkland Place, Kentish Town, using the name Harry and working at an organ works. All seven of their other surviving children were also living with them in 1911. Harry was their eldest son and second child. In 1911 Henry senior was working as a builder’s labourer and Hetty as a housewife.

Henry senior and Harriett had further children after 1911 – Daisy Sturges, who was baptised at St Michael’s on 29 January 1913, and Grace Florence Sturges, baptised at St Michael’s on 18th February 1915. In the latter record their address is given as 8 Wellington Street and Henry senior as a labourer.

Henry junior does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. He enlisted in the St Pancras district. At the time of his death his parents were living at 24 Chalk Farm Road, Camden Town.


Edward Linford Thorogood
3646 Private, 3/28th Battalion, London Regiment and 8th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, later Lieutenant, 2/8th Battalion (attached 6th Reserve Battalion), Lancashire Fusiliers
1897, St Pancras – 3rd September 1918
Grave I.A.15, Le Grand Beaumart British Cemetery, Steenwerck

He was baptised at Holy Trinity, Haverstock Hill on 26th September 1897. His parents were Edward William Stanley Thorogood (1855, Islington) and Ellen Ann Linford Beale (1858, St Pancras). They had married in the St Pancras district in 1894. Edward senior was a carpet planner living at 54 Clarence Road in the parish of Holy Trinity in 1901 and at 21 South Villas, Camden Square in 1911. They only had one other child, Florence Linford Thorogood (1892, St Pancras), who had become a dressmaker’s assistant by 1911. Edward senior was serving as an adjutant and later captain of the Church Lads’ Brigade at St Michael’s around 1908.

Edward junior attended University College School, where he joined the Officer Training Corps. He was confirmed at St Michael’s and acted as a server at both weekday and Sunday services and as a thurifer. He appears on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving, though his service record only shows him as enlisting on 12th April 1915 aged 17 years and 7 months. At that time he was still living with his parents at 21 South Villas. He was 5 foot 7 inches. On 25th November 1915 he was appointed an Acting Lance Corporal and on 2nd December that year he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant. A letter to his mother from his commanding officer after his death stated he was “an officer who was one of the most efficient and conscientious I have ever had under my command…. I can only repeat what the men said of him: ‘He asked no one to go where he would not go himself’ ”.

The letter was published in the October 1918 parish magazine and also described the circumstances of his death whilst “commanding his company in a difficult and trying attack”. It also quoted the Chaplain’s account of the circumstances: “The battalion had advanced and done really wonderful work on Monday evening, Sept. 2, and he was killed by a shell which wounded four men at the same time, early on the Tuesday morning, Sept. 3. His death was undoubtedly instantaneous. He had been in command of his company since we last came in the line, and you will have heard from the CO what a fine officer everybody thought of him. But (what counts perhaps for more) I wish you could have heard the way his men spoke of him when they told me of his death yesterday. I have lost in him a true friend. He was always present at our Eucharist whenever it was possible, and several times he has served me at the Altar. Always cheerful, he showed what a true Christian ought to be, and talking to him sometimes it was easy to see what a real devout chap he was. I buried him this morning, September 4, with one of my men, in a cemetery not far from here, and we shall have a cross put over the grave. May God give rest to his gallant soul. I pray that God may comfort Mr Thorogood and yourself.” The magazine writer added “He had a very strong sense of duty, and his life and death have shown us that there lay hidden beneath the surface, as so often happens in our boys, a very real love of God and a single-hearted devotion to his Church and his country.

His probate record shows him leaving £132 5 shillings and 2 pence to his father. The November 1918 parish magazine carried a letter from his mother to the parish magazine: “Dear Friends at St Michael’s, – Mr Thorogood and I wish to thank you for all the kind thoughts and expressions of sympathy shown to us in our bereavement. “The Communion of Saints” will have a deeper and stronger meaning to us than ever before, through your sympathy. – I am, yours very sincerely, ELLEN THOROGOOD”. By the time of his death his parents were living at ‘Roslyn’, 5 Amersham Road, Harrow.

Frederick William Thorogood
G/10893, Private, 6th Battalion Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)
1890, Faulkborn, Essex – 12th May 1917, killed in action, aged 27
Bay 7, Arras Memorial

His parents were James and Elizabeth – James was an ‘ordinary agricultural labourer’ living on Church Street, Witham, Essex in the 1901 census. They do not seem to be related to the other Thorogood on the memorial. In the 1911 census Frederick was living in the White Hart Hotel in Witham, where he was working as a porter.

At the end of 1914 Frederick married Jane Elizabeth Denning in the St Pancras district – she was three years younger than him, had been born in the St Pancras district and had been living with her step-mother in the 1911 census, working as a Millinery Assistant. Her address in 1911 was 169 Albany Street, St Pancras.

Frederick does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving and so probably enlisted after that date. Giving his occupation as porter, he enlisted in the St Pancras district, though his residence at the time was given as Camden Town. On 7th November 1915 his and Jane’s son Frederick William (1915, Pancras) was baptised at St Michael’s, with Frederick senior’s trade given as ‘Fruiterer’s Assistant’. The baptismal record gave their family address as 131 Arlington Road, which was also given as her address by the CWGC at the time of Frederick’s death. Frederick’s RIP appeared in the parish magazine June 1917.

Henry John Newton Truman
3311, Private, 6th Battalion King’s Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)
1896, St Pancras – 5th August 1916, died of wounds, Mesopotamia, aged 20
Special Memorial, Row 1, St Pancras Cemetery

He was the son of Mary Ann Truman (1875, St Pancras), though his father’s name is unknown. In 1901 Henry was living at 4 Clarendon Place, St Pancras with his widowed mother, who was then working as a charwoman. His mother remarried in 1903 in St Pancras district, to the carman Thomas E Pestall (1869, St Pancras – 1933, St Pancras).

In 1911 Henry was working as an errand boy for a cheesemonger and living at 181 Dartmouth Park Hill, Highgate, with his mother, stepfather and three younger step-siblings. He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. He enlisted in Shoreditch. The CWGC records his mother’s address at his time of death as 7 James Street, High Street, Camden Town.

William Edward Tuttle
202066, Private, attached to C Company, 8th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders (Rossshire Buffs)
1881, Camden Town – 20th August 1917, killed in action, Western Front, aged 36
VII.H.22, Tyne Cot Memorial

He was the son of William and Esther, still resident in Camden Town around his death according to his CWGC record. He was a Sunday School teacher at St Michael’s as well as a server and a member of the church’s Debating Society. On 10th September 1914 he married Annie Charlotte Mallett at St Peter’s Hornsey. (An RIP for a William Mallett appeared in the April 1918 parish magazine.) A report in the October 1914 parish magazine stated “Mr Tuttle’s long and faithful services to S. Michael’s are a household word … Their address will be 21, Belmont Avenue, West Green, which is a far cry from Camden Town. But we are glad to say that Mr Tuttle will still continue to act as one of our Thurifers”.

He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. He enlisted in Tottenham. His widow’s address was recorded by the CWGC as 83 Park Avenue, North Hornsey. Vespers was said for him when news of his death reached St Michael’s. The October 1917 parish magazine reported that (at the Vespers held for him):

“Just as in some of the monasteries, when a departing Priest is carried in his vestments into the chapel to breath his last, joy-bells break forth, and continual chantings are made as if for a marriage, to proclaim that another soul has gone to God, so we felt as we sang our Hymn that night.”

It also stated:

“The news of William Tuttle’s death in France came as a shock to us all. He looked so well the last time he was with us – and he always came to St Michael’s when on leave, though his home was latterly in West Green. As with many others on active service in this war, we could hardly associate him at first wit ha military career. But the training developed his physical powers in a wonderful way, and when he was attached to the Seaforth Highlanders he looked every inch a soldier in his kilt. The Chaplain writes: “He was killed on the night of the 20th August while marching up to the trenches in preparation for an attack on the German trenches. The last platoon of ‘C’ Company had almost reached the front line when a shell exploded among them, causing the death of five men, of whom he was one. I can assure you that his death was painless, being instantaneous. The sad fatality was a great cause of grief to us and of deep regret to his comrades.” How we shall miss him! From earliest years he had been known to us all at St Michael’s as one of the best and most loyal of its worshippers and workers. As a Sunday School Teacher he was invaluable; as a Communicant and Server most regular, devout, and reverent ; and latterly as a Thurifer he was always to be relied upon. And in the old Debating Society his speeches were eagerly looked forward to. Our very deepest sympathy will go out to his wife – his short married life of three years had been so happy – and to his mother and sisters.”

In January 1918 the parish magazine reported that his widow had presented “a Medici reproduction of Perugino’s famous picture of the Crucifixion” for the side chapel in his memory. The March 1920 parish magazine reports a brass inscription being put up at the foot of the picture reading “In loving memory of William Edward Tuttle, Server in this Church. Killed in action, August 20th, 1917. Aged 36. RIP”.


George Henry Vogel
G/5403, Private, 9th Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment
1886, St Pancras – 28th September 1915, killed in action, Western Front
Panel 69 to 73, Loos Memorial

He was the son of Jules Vogel (1859, Paris, France – 1914, St Pancras) and Sarah J (1859, Middlesex). Jules first appears in the 1881 census, so probably arrived in Britain before that date. He became a naturalised British subject in 1877. The couple were at 12 Taylors Court, Portsea, Hampshire in 1881, with two children and with Jules serving as a private in the Army Service Corps. In 1891 George was living with his parents and four siblings at 134 Gloucester Road, St Pancras. His father was working as a cabinet maker in 1891, 1901 and 1911.

George and five siblings were living with them in 1901, now at 14 Little Edward Street, St Pancras. In 1911 Jules, Sarah and four of their children were living at 3 Buck Street, St Pancras. These did not include George, who was lodging at 71 Marylebone Lane and working as a grocer’s assistant.

He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving, though a J Vogel does. George enlisted at Cockspur Street. George’s mother Sarah remarried after his father’s death, to Albert E Twining, in early 1923 in St Pancras. George’s younger brother Percy Frederick (1898, Kilburn or St Pancras – 1966, Elstree and Potters Bar district) enlisted on 1st February 1915 into 19th Battalion, London Regiment but was discharged three days later for being ‘under chest measurement’ and thus ‘not likely to become an efficient Soldier’. He was also only 5 ft 1 inches tall. Percy married Rosina Rogers in St Pancras district in 1921 and their daughter Ellen Margaret Vogel was baptised at St Michael’s, on 29th March 1925, with her parents living at 24 Castle Road, NW and her father working as a painter.

George’s brothers Edward Ernest Vogel (1895, St Pancras or Hendon district – 1972, St Pancras district) and James Walter Vogel (1887-1973) both served in 19th Battalion, London Regiment and survived the war.


Percy Wadhams/Percival Woodhams
12150, Lance Corporal, 5th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment
1891, Kentish Town / St Pancras district – 29th March 1918, died of wounds, Western Front
Grave II. A. 8., St Pol British Cemetery, St-Pol-sur-Ternoise

His parents Isaac Wodhams (1862, Earls Barton, Northamptonshire – 1940, Uxbridge) and Lavinia Tanner (1860, Whitchurch, Hampshire) had married in 1887 in the St Pancras district. In the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses Isaac was working as a farrier. In 1891 they gave their surname as Woodhams and were living at 25 Grafton Road in the St Pancras district, with their son Isaac William H Wodhams (1890, Kentish Town – 1901, St Pancras), the elder Isaac’s widowed mother Hannah and a visitor. In 1892 they had another son, Alfred, but he died in 1894.

In 1901 Percy’s parents were living at 88 Prince of Wales Road, but only their daughter Hannah Mary L Wodhams was living with them, along with a visiting domestic nurse Edith M Weston (1882, Northamptonshire) and a boarder working as a blacksmith (possibly a colleague of Percy’s parents). The nurse was probably a relation on his father’s side, as in 1901 Percy himself was living with his widowed aunt Julia Weston at 6 Harold Street, Northampton St Giles in 1901. In the 1911 census he is recorded as ‘Percival’ and is living at 64 Willes Road, Kentish Town with his parents (his father was now working as a farrier), his siblings Lavinia (1895, London NW, working as a Mantle Maker) and Walter Scott J (1901, London NW), a six-year-old boarder and a ‘Visitor’ born at Whitchurch in Hampshire (possibly from his mother’s family). The family surname is here given as ‘Wodhams’ or ‘Wadhams’. In 1911 Percival was working as a ‘Dining Car Attendant’.

He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving, though an F Woodham does. He enlisted in London at an unknown date. Late in 1915 he married the dressmaker Beatrice Georgiana Brasier (1892, Holborn) in the St Pancras district. His CWGC entry gives his surname as Wodhams and his next of kin as his father, then living at 14 Hadley Street, Kentish Town – Percy’s wife had died late in 1918 and his mother in early 1919. An RIP for a Beatrice Wadhams appeared in the November 1918 parish magazine.

Thomas Welsh or Welch
G/2893, Private, 12th Battalion, Duke of Cambridge’s Own (Middlesex Regiment)
1881, Leamington, Warwickshire – 21st July 1916, Western Front, died of wounds
Grave A.16.45, St Sever Cemetery, Rouen

It has not yet been possible to find him definitively in the 1881 or 1891 censuses. In 1901 he was boarding at Debenhams at 92A Wimpole Street and working as one of their kitchen porters. In late 1903 he married Jane Walton in the St Pancras district.

He and his wife were living together at 156 Arlington Road, Camden Town in 1911, with their three children Thomas (1905, London), Mabel (1906, London) and Benjamin (1909, London). Thomas senior was working as a “Hawker (Green Grocer)”. He appears on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving as T Welsh. He enlisted in St Pancras whilst resident in Camden Town. An RIP for him appeared in the August 1916 parish magazine.

Henry F or J West

He appears on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving as RIP.

Henry Cecil Wharfe
9585, Private, 1st Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment
1894, South Norwood – 25th October 1914, killed in action, Western Front
Panel 4, Ploegsteert Memorial

He was the son of Walter Wharfe (1861) and Kate Gatward (1866), who were both born in Therfield, Hertfordshire and had married in 1886 in Royston district. They had moved to South Norwood before the birth of their eldest child in 1892. Two of the eight children they had had born alive by 1911 had died.

He is called Harry in the 1901 census, where he is living with his parents and five siblings at 41 Somerley Street, Wandsworth. In 1911 he was living with his parents and four siblings at 2 Stanmore Place, Camden Town. He was now working as a van guard for Carter Patterson. He does not appear on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving, though a W Wharfe does. He enlisted in Leicester, though he was then resident in Camden Town.

Frederick Williams

He appears on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving, as do an H and J Williams.

(Albert George) Basil Wythe
8334, Private, 3rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)
1893, Camden Town – 12th March 1915, killed in action, Western Front, aged 21
H.72, Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetery

He was the only son of Albert Edward Wythe (1863, Shoreditch) and Mary Elizabeth Webber (1863, Corfe Castle, Dorset), who had married in Shoreditch district in 1891. A stonemason’s daughter, Mary had moved from her birthplace to London between 1871 and 1881 to work as a nurse (1881 census) and then a dressmaker (1891 census). Albert Edward worked as a printer’s compositor.

In 1901 Basil was living with his parents at 123 Camden Street with his sisters Evelyn Louisa (1892, St Pancras) and Victoria Frances E (1894, St Pancras). In 1911 Evelyn, Victoria, Basil and their parents had been joined by a fourth child, Elsie Sarah (1903, St Pancras) – they were all now living at 76 St Paul’s Road, Camden Town. (All four of the children born alive to Albert Edward and Mary before 1911 were alive in 1911.) Evelyn and Victoria were both now working as book folders, whilst Albert himself was working as a compositor’s apprentice – they were all listed as ‘Workers’ rather than employers, though they might still have been working for the same business. (Victoria went on to marry in the St Pancras district in 1927, as did Evelyn in 1929.) Albert Edward and Mary Elizabeth’s address in 1915 was recorded by the CWGC as 3 Bartholomew Road, Kentish Town.

Basil was a member of the parish’s Church Lads’ Brigade (CLB). He appears as B Wythe on the parish magazine’s March 1915 list of those already serving. He enlisted at Holborn whilst resident in Kentish Town sometime before March 1915, when he is given in the parish magazine on a list of those serving. He was killed in the battle of Neuve Chapelle. An RIP for him appeared in the May 1915 parish magazine.

The January 1918 parish magazine reported:

“We have just heard that the grave of Basil Wythe … has been discovered by another member of the CLB in Kemel Cemetery, near Armentieres (Grave No 191). The inscription on it runs as follows: – “Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.” To the loving memory of ALBERT GEORGE BASIL WYTHE, Royal Fusiliers (Honi soi qui mal y pense). [No. 8334.] 3d Battalion, 85th Brigade, 28th Division. Killed in action at the Battle of Neuve Chapelle, March 12, 1915”