Work on the re-wiring and re-lighting of St Michael’s began in earnest on 5 October. A team from CES will be working on replacing the old wiring and installing the new lighting, including 13 ‘Arts and Crafts’- style light pendants in the arches of the north and south aisles, while Cunnings Recording Associates will be working on the upgrading of the sound system and installation of an induction loop for the hard of hearing. Work is expected to be completed in time for the new lighting to be turned on at Evensong on the First Sunday of Advent, 29 November.
Good progress is also being made on the design of six information boards to make the heritage of St Michael’s and of Camden Town available to the church’s many visitors. Mock-ups of the boards were displayed by their designer, Alex Firth, at the St Michael’s Fayre on 26 September, and received much favourable comment, as did the history website developed by Chris Dingwall-Jones. Separately, as part of our heritage promotion we have begun to sell St Michael’s tea towels, based on a parish magazine cover from 1920, and coloured postcards of the church; sales are going well.