North Aisle Windows
The North Aisle windows, depicting six saints, were designed by Burlison & Grylls, a company founded by John Burlison and Thomas John Grylls in 1868. The pair were encouraged to go into business together by Bodley and Garner, and their windows appear regularly in Bodley’s churches.
This was the first window to recieve stained glass in St. Michael’s. It depicts St. Stephen, the first Christian Martyr, and St. Alban, the first Martyr in Britian. According to the first history of St. Michael’s “the connection of the Martyrs with the Angels is intended to represent the fact that the Martyrs continued on earth the warfare with sin which St. Michael and the Angelic host began in heaven.” The image of St. Stephen was installed at Michaelmas 1884, and the image of St. Alban a year later
The inscription reads “To the glory of God and the dear memory of Thomas S. Butler, who entered into rest 17th September 1874.”
This window was installed in 1887 by Revd. A G Hunter, the first Assistant Priest of the Church. It depicts St. Pancras and St. Paul. St. Pancras, martyred in 304 AD aged 14, gives his name to the what was the mother church of the area (now St. Pancras Old Church), as well as to the first church dedicated in England, whose ruins can still be found in Canterbury. His sword indicates the instrument of his martyrdom, and the book his reputation for learning.
The inscription reads “To the glory of God and in pious memory of Richard Hunter and Caroline his wife, the dearly loved parents of Archer G. Hunter, first Assistant Priest of this Church, AD 1877-1882.”
This window was dedicated at Michaelmas 1890. It represents St. Faith and St. Boniface. St. Faith was chosen as her feast occurs on the Octave of Michaelmas. She was martyred on a grid-iron in France in 290AD, for refusing to sacrafice to pagan deities. Her death apparently inspired many bystanders to confess Christ and join her in Martyrdom. A chapel to St. Faith also stands in St. Paul’s Cathedral.
The inscription below St. Faith reads “To the glory of God and in loving memory of Blanche Wilhemina Corfe, who entered her heavenly rest 31st January 1882, aged 27 years.”
St. Boniface was an Englishman known for his missionary work in Germany. After being named Archbishop of Mainz, he was Martyred in 755AD. This saint was chosen as the window is dedicated to Edward Vickeris Burridge, a Mission Priest who had led a Mission to Men in the St Michael’s parish in 1888. Blance Corfe (née Burridge) was his sister.
The inscription below St. Boniface reads “To the glory of God and in loving memory of Edward Vickeris Burridge, Priest and Missioner, who fell asleep 10th July 1889, aged 39 years. Beloved children of a sorrowing Mother. RIP.”